Pic(k) of the week 42: DUBAI - Dusk till Dawn

This Pic(k) of the week consists of two images, also called a diptych. While I was photographing the ever changing Dubai skyline at dusk last night, I decided to come back to the same place less than 12 hours later. 

Now that the cooler air is finally finding its way to Dubai again, I was hoping for perfect visibility but was slightly disappointed to see a very slight haze at the horizon when I woke up just after 5 am this morning.

Quite a few times, I've noticed that early in the morning, the Burj Khalifa (worlds tallest building, 820m), is often being lit by a sun which is still below the horizon. Hoping to have a similar experience, I was out at the same location at 0540 am this morning. 

With an official sunrise at 0617 am, it turned out that the best shooting time for this type of shot, was from about 0602 to 0612 am. 


2013 Pic(k) of the week 42: Dubai - Dusk till Dawn


Even though both images are quite strong on their own, I believe they make for an interesting comparison. 

Image details:
FujiFilm X-E1 with 18-55 Fujinon lens
Both images; ISO 200, 18mm (27mm full frame equivalent)
Top image; f14, 20s
Bottom image: f5.6, 1s
RAW files edited with Lightroom 5.2
Nik ColorEfex for contrast adjustments


I'm playing with another idea, from the same location which might take a few months to materialise...

Meanwhile, to see more of my Dubai skyline images, please click here.







Comments