Pic(k) of the week 17: DUBAI SKYLINE AFTER THE SNOW (AURORA HDR by Macphun)

Always on the lookout for a new perspective to photograph the amazing Dubai Skyline, I went to one of my favourite spots of the Oud Metha road near Business Bay. The water of the man-made extension of the Dubai Creek, makes for an interesting foreground; sometime creating very nice reflections of the buildings of the "new Dubai". 

To my surprise the day I was there, the water level of the lake had almost completely drained/evaporated; leaving a residue of white salt on the bottom. Or did it just snow in Dubai?

Beside the very unusual foreground, I was also attracted by sun-rays reflecting of the clouds and buildings.


Image details
Fujifilm X-Pro2 with the XF 10-24 f4 lens
ISO 200, f9, 3 shot exposure bracket between 1/17s and 1/280s
Lightroom CC for RAW file development
Macphun Aurora HDR for tone mapping
Nik ColorEfex Pro 4 with Pro Contrast filter

Recently, I've been asked to test the new AURORA HDR software made by the fine people of MacPhun in cooperation with HDR guru Trey Ratcliff. As this image was the first one I developed with Aurora HDR, it is still too early to make a final conclusion, but the results are very promising. It might very well replace the good old Photomatix by HDRSoft for most of my HDR needs! More to come...

One of my main complains about the Fujifilm X-series cameras has been the lack of real use exposure bracketing. The -2 to +2 EV on the new X-Pro2 (review here) is definitively a step in the right direction! Just get rid of the 1/3 and 2/3 exposure bracketing options and replace them with +3 and -3 stops please!

I'm regularly asked for the coordinates of certain locations; although I'm a big fan of sharing all kinds of photo info, I'm a strong believer in discovering good locations yourself by doing some online research; it is all part of the photographic process. There really is no excuse today with detailed satellite images on Google Earth and great landscape photography planning software like The Photographer's Ephemeris (TPE) or PhotoPills. End of rant!











Comments