Pic(k) of the week 31: DUBAI CREEK SUNSET - (Lightroom for X-Pro2 / X-T2 RAW files)

The much higher potential for recovering highlights and shadows, through a single RAW file on both the Fujifilm X-Pro2 and now also the X-T2, is something that came somewhat as a surprise to me! Although I was never unhappy with the potential dynamic range of the previous Fujifilm cameras (X-T1 and X-T10), the new 24.3Mpx X-Trans III sensor, really pushed this to the next level! 

The image below of the Dubai skyline, shot from The Terrace - Dubai Creek sales center, was the very first image I shot, 2 hrs after I picked up my pre-production copy of the X-T2 on April 21st. 

While I have made several bracketed exposures of the scene, I ended up using only a single shot as the basic exposure settings in Lightroom produced a very natural and satisfying result. 

AFTER


Image details:
Fujifilm X-T2 with the Fujinon XF18-135 lens
ISO 200, f16, 1/25s (on MeFoto tripod with RRS Ballhead), 46mm (70mm full frame equivalent)
Lightroom CC for ALL editing
No colour added, use of a few gradient  masks in LR

As an illustration and comparison, I'm posting a low resolution "before" image of the original RAW file with no editing done to it. 


BEFORE

Overall, I feel Lightroom deals much better with X-Trans III (X-Pro2 and X-T2) files, much better than the with the previous X-Trans II files. It looks like I'll be using other RAW file editors like Iridient Developer, less with the new cameras. 

By the way, I'm almost always shooting Lossless Compressed RAW, as I struggle to see any differences with the double size uncompressed files.  

More of my Architectural work shot in Dubai can be found here

For the ones that missed it, my two part X-T2 first look review lives here:


Remember, "you don't take a photograph, you make it" - Ansel Adams


BJORN





Comments

Anonymous said…
Interesting comment. About the LR better treatment, has speed also improved? Any impact on lossless vs no compression RAW? Thanks.
Bjorn Moerman said…
No, LR speed is still too slow for my liking... Doesn't have anything to do with the handling of the X-Trans files however.
Compressed or uncompressed is about the same speed on LR in my opinion.
Anonymous said…
Understood, thanks!